Right on the money Scott... many times the antenna and/or
feed line can be the trouble maker. Although not practical
in many cases... a 50 ohm test termination at the top end
of the feed line can tell you a lot...

Knowing the "effective sensitivity" at the site is a big deal
often overlooked by the more informal repeater owner/operator.

cheers,
s.