already acting like it.  - Mike

From: Repeater-Builder@yahoogroups.com
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of skipp025
Sent: Wednesday, August 06, 2008 1:00 AM
To: Repeater-Builder@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [Repeater-Builder] Re: SCOM 7330 Experiences anyone? (let's have
some fun)

Re: SCOM 7330 Experiences anyone? (let's have some fun)

> Mike Morris WA6ILQ <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> My own experience is that owners prefer the one that
> they had their first really positive experience with,
> learned the ins and outs of, and are loath to change
> due to the learning curve.

Well... we don't mind changing when the new controller works
well and has the features we want without an episode of "Punch
the Clown Face" related to hardware problems, the software and
user programming.

> My first controller was programmed with solder - it drove
> a tube-based 2m repeater receiver and transmitter so it had
> a tube-based COR and PL decoder,

Repeater Poker 2008
I'll anti the pot and raise the blinds by guessing... Motorola
Sensicon, Research Line GE Pre-Prog, GE Prog or even an RCA
Carfone? You didn't have a Link or Allen B Dumont Repeater
did you?

> everything else was Agstat pneumatic time delay relays,
> clock motor timers, and KRP DPDT and 3PDT relays. It had a
> rotary dial (!) autopatch and a a 6m remote base.

Raided some surplus electronics outlet..? maybe found a good
deal or surplus commercial (tube-type) radio gear... even betta'
the parts were free (donation)?

> My second controller was another relay beast only it used
> DIP relays, 555 timers, and TTL logic.

And the 5 volt dc rail (by itself) easily drew more than one
amp of current? Not to mention the heat...

> My third was a home-brew wire-wrapped Z80 single board
> computer that drove a crosspoint audio switch and ended up with
> 27,000 lines of assembly code.

See..! Those Radio Shack TRS-80 Model one computers did make
great trainers after all. And all that wonderful RFI you had to
hide/deal with.

> Then I found ACC, Creative Control Products, Link and Scom, in
> that order.

ACC - Great stuff but expensive for the common man (person).

Creative Control Products - Quirky and no fun to work with or
operate. Their UAI boards were really funky to try and use...

Link - Hardware for the most part ok fine... User software
not so user friendly for the casual/new user.

> The Scom family goes back through the MRC100 (about 1984),

I have a working MRC-100 about to go up on Ebay. Great Controller!

> the 5K, 6K, 7K and now the 7330. I've used the 5K, the 7K
> and the 7330 and all are totally reliable. The random reset
> problem I had was traced back to a bad solder joint in a
> cable - not their problem, but at one point they were ready
> to exchange the controller. I blew up a 7K by accidentally
> shorting the +12 buss to the +5 buss, and Bob had it fully
> operational, and back in my hands in a week. The 5K, 6K and
> 7K are fully supported to this day. How many manufacturers
> actually support their early products to that level?

Not many early repeater controller mfgrs are still in business.

> The 7330 is the newest (it's been in beta test since thanksgiving
> and been in formal release for under 6 months) and the firmware
> has not caught up with all of the hardware features (like the
> A-to-D ports).
>
> The programming is straightforward. Some of the more advanced
> features are not covered in the manual as well as they could, but
> the book is advancing just like the firmware is. On the other
> tentacle, there is a 650+ member yahoo groups mailing list that
> is full of helpful people, all of which have "been there , done
> that".

... & have the Coffee Mug and Tee Shirt?

> The S-COM Factory Supported email list is at:
> What other manufacturer has the chief programmer reading
> the official list?

I can think of at least four... probably at least one or two I
don't know about yet.

> When I first started programming the 7K I asked a few
> questions (that in retrospect look really stupid)
> and I had an answer in under 12 hours. How is that for
> support?

About right most week-days during normal business hours...

> Mike WA6ILQ

The format of the SCom 5K 6K & 7K controller user programming
is pretty darn good. If the 7330 human interface is similar
you will probably enjoy having one.

cheers,
s.

http://www.eset.com