Jim is correct by adding the pot to the input of the TS-440 jack.

But, just don't forget to re-adjust the input receiver pot on the RC-
85 back top the correct level for repeat and decoding as set forth in
the manual.

I do believe that one of the last revisions of the RC-85 firmware
either broke or fixed the 'Bump Down' function. I can't remember
which one because I had reported that problem to ACC in the
ShackMaster product which used the same code.

Keith

--- In Repeater-Builder@yahoogroups.com, Jim Brown <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Since you don't have control of the audio level anywhere else,  I
would suggest using a potentiometer as the attenuator.  Hook the
output of your remote base audio to both ends of the pot, and take
the input to the TS-440 RCA jack from the center lead of the pot.
Hook the ground end of the pot to the ground from the controller and
to the ground on the RCA jack.  A 10 K pot should give you all the
control you need to set the levels.  Typical convention is to let the
clockwise rotation of the pot increase the level, so use the correct
terminals on the pot to give this action.

> 73 - Jim  W5ZIT

Questions
> To: Repeater-Builder@yahoogroups.com, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Date: Monday, August 11, 2008, 11:17 AM
>

>             I have a UHF Repeater using an ACC RC-85 repeater
controller, which also controls a Kenwood TS-440 HF Transceiver as
the Remote Base radio. All the HF Radio control commands seem to work
fine, except the "Bump Down 500 Hz" command. The command is "[Remote
Base Prefix]  7" -  it just has no reponse. But the "Bump UP 500 Hz"
and the other "Bump Up/Down" - 20 Hz and 100 Hz step commands work
just fine. It's not a problem decoding the "7" - the Touchtone Pad
Test reads back all digits correctly. The touchtone decoder in the RC-
85 seems to work extremely well and decodes noisy signals without
falsing. I can be mobile, using just a handheld radio that's choppy
into the repeater, and dial around on the HF radio with hardly ever
having a missed digit.

> The other minor problem I'm having is that the transmit audio for
the TS-440S is so hot coming from the RC-85 that it's unusable. The
output of the RC-85 transmit audio is fixed level, and is controlled
by the inputs from the receiver (in this case, the UHF repeater
receiver.) If I turn down the level of the receive audio to the
controller so that the TS-440 transmit audio is at the proper level,
then the controller doesn't have enough audio output to drive the
main UHF transmitter to more than about 2 kHz deviation. I'm feeding
the transmit audio into the TS-440's "AFSK IN" rear-panel jack, as
suggested in the RC-85 manual. Using this input, the TS-440 front-
panel mic gain control has no effect on the transmit audio level from
the AFSK IN jack.

> Looking at the RC-85 manual and in an old issue of "ACC Notes"
which describes RC-850 and RC-85 transmit audio level setting
procedures, it suggests padding down the output of the transmit audio
using an attenuator or resistive voltage divider. Anyone tried this
and have any starting values?