Note that the "Extender" is Moto's name for a "Noise
Blanker", which is the term that GE used.

The noise blanker (no matter who makes it) is an AM receiver
(whose front end is parked on a (hopefully) quiet channel) whose
IF is the same frequency as the main (FM) receiver IF.
The AM IF's is inverted and injected into the FMs IF and the noise
pulses cancel.  At least that's the plan, and usually it works.
So the noise pulses are cancelled at the IF frequency, long before
they are demodulated.

Some people say that the Moto Extenders don't work as well as
GE's Noise Blanker circuit.  Not having had a GE to play with,
I can't speak to that as I don't have 1st hand experience.  One
person's whose opinion I respect has over 15 years of working
on lowband GE and Motorola gear and he says that he'll take
a Mastr II over a Micor any day as a 6m repeater receiver
just from the NB design.  He parks them on 51mhz and
lets them run.

When the NB (no matter who makes it) is working right it
eliminates a LOT of the RF noise hash that is so prevalent
on low band channels.  It messes up when the AM front end
hears noise that the FM doesn't, or when someone starts
talking on the AM channel (the NB input).

Moto recommends that the extender be parked a couple of MHz away
from the main channel and most extender-equipped mobiles have an
antenna splitter after the antenna relay so that it feeds both the FM
and the AM front end.  Low band repeaters come in single-receive
antenna (no-noise-blanker) configurations, and some have an separate
antenna input for the noise blanker.

The extender sampling frequency needs to be a few mhz away from
the desired frequency to guarantee that all that it picks up is wideband
noise.  This means that if you put a pass cavity tuned to the main
receive channel in front of the splitter then the AM receiver will hear
nothing (because the pass window is so narrow) and you effectively
have no extender.

This is the biggest argument for split site machines on 6.

The same thing happens if you have a duplexer in place of the
cavity in the above example. A low band duplexer has a narrow
pass window so the repeaters with a single antenna port for
both the main channel and for the NB have a situation where
the NB never hears anything.

I've seen one 6m repeater where they took a single-sited machine
and split it. The old transmit antenna (on it's own feedline), and the
two pass cavities were reused for the NB channel.  The transmitter
ended up a mile away with a 900 MHz cross-link.

BTW in most cases you DON'T need a preamp on a 6m FM
receiver!!! They already hear dot 25 or so and the effective
sensitivity with the antenna connected will likely be in
excess of 1uV at most sites just due to the atmospheric noise.

Mike WA6ILQ