  From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  To: Repeater-Builder@yahoogroups.com
  Sent: Saturday, October 11, 2008 6:37 PM
  Subject: Re: [Repeater-Builder] Zetron SCU controller

  Hi Ian,

  >Does anyone have any info on the unit in question that generated those
  tones? I'd love to find one - just for memorabilia.

  That tone format has been around for a long time in mobile radio (Motorola
Quik-Call I) and is still being used in aviation (ICAO SELCAL) to page aircraft
on the company channel. A chime informs the flight crew that a message follows
(in case the volume has been turned down -- it happens when you have three
radios going... :-).

  Aviation uses SELCAL on VHF-AM and HF channels, but on HF the tones are sent
with amplitude modulation to ensure proper decoding while the conversations
take place on SSB.

  Our air/ground interconnect and 7330 repeater controller support SELCAL
because commercial customers still use it.

  73,
  Bob

  Bob Schmid, WA9FBO, Member
  S-COM, LLC
  PO Box 1546
  LaPorte CO 80535-1546
  970-416-6505 voice
  970-419-3222 fax
  www.scomcontrollers.com

  New MapQuest Local shows what's happening at your destination. Dining,
Movies, Events, News & more. Try it out!