When you check the terminal connections, be sure to back off the outer nut
before verifying a good torque on the nut that tightens onto the aluminum
element, then replace the outer nut and tighten it onto the terminal lug.  A
stainless steel toothed lockwasher should be under each nut.  I recently
received a brand-new DB408 antenna that had one nut completely missing, and
the terminal lug was making contact only by side pressure from the coaxial
cable!  Curiously, the included response chart showed that the antenna was
working properly.  Go figure...

Yes, Scotchkote Electrical Coating is definitely a good investment- even
though a 15 ounce can costs about $30.  I first suspend the antenna
upside-down, and apply Scotchkote to every splice block and terminal that
now faces upward.  After allowing that application to dry for ten minutes or
so, I turn the antenna around and do the remaining joints.  I don't apply
the sealant to the nuts and threads, just to any point where water might
seep into the cable.  I then repeat the above process, and apply a second
coating to every joint.  Finally, I apply a third coat to each cable joint
when the antenna is upright.  Yeah, this is a messy and time-consuming
process, but I don't want to be back at the site in a couple of years to
troubleshoot a water ingress problem.

At the junction between the antenna harness and the feedline, I apply a
small amount of silicone compound to the threads of the female N connector
on the feedline before mating them.  I never use a "barrel connector" here;
the feedline always has a female connector at the top end.  Scotch Linerless
Splicing Tape is then applied over the splice, from bottom to top,
overlapping 50% on each wrap.  This tape is self-vulcanizing when stretched
during the wrap, and it actually is made for high-voltage splicing work.
This is then over-wrapped with Scotch 88 or similar tape, again from bottom
to top, so that it sheds water.  A dab of Scotchkote sealant over the tape
ensures that it is water tight.

As for other suggestions, here's mine:  Use only stainless-steel or hot-dip
galvanized hardware, similar to that used in power-line work.  Use a
zinc-based compound such as Penetrox, Adalox, Noalox, or similar product on
all threads and on every aluminum antenna joint.  This will not only improve
electrical contact, but will also ensure that the hardware can be easily
disassembled in the future.  Finally, use a known-accurate DVM to measure
the DC resistance of the antenna and feedline system, and post that value
somewhere in the radio shack.  The DB420 is a DC-grounded antenna, so the DC
resistance seen at the duplexer should be close to zero ohms, being
essentially the loop resistance of the feedline.  If the antenna system ever
fails, re-perform this measurement to quickly determine if there is an open.

73, Eric Lemmon WB6FLY