John,

I certainly can't dispute the fact that an MTR2000 repeater is far more
expensive than a TKR-850 repeater, nor can I dispute the fact that a BMW is
far more expensive than a Yugo.  The MTR2000 is a high-tier, heavy-duty,
very reliable unit that can operate continuously.  The TKR-850 is a low-tier
station that is equivalent to the Motorola RKR-1225, and similar offerings
from Icom, Vertex, and Ritron.  If you want quality and durability, buy a
high-tier station.  If you feel that your needs do not warrant such an
expenditure, stick with the more economical units.  If you want a high-tier
Kenwood station, look at the TKR-840 rather than the TKR-850.  The TKR-840
is intended to drive a separate power amplifier, since it puts out 1 to 5
watts.  The local public-safety agencies use a TKR-840 with a 100 watt TPL
amplifier running at 75 watts.  That combination is in the $3,500 class.
The TKR-840 is the BMW of the Kenwood LMR product line.  The TKR-850 is,
well, not a BMW.

I chose the MTR2000 stations for my systems simply because I wanted basic
communications that was absolutely reliable.  All of them are bare-bones
stations that use the internal controllers and have the integral power
supply.  One of my UHF MTR2000 stations is on 100% solar power, and in an
unheated concrete shelter on a mountain ridge.  Like the other and similar
stations, it has performed flawlessly.

The last 100 watt MTR2000 station I bought, more than a year ago, cost about
$3,900 delivered to my door.  That figure does not include the programming
software, programming cable, speaker, microphone, or a service manual; those
add another $500 or so.  Be very careful about where you buy such a
repeater, because some dealers look upon your purchase as a means to make a
real killing- and you can pay many hundreds of dollars more than a fair
price.  As I noted in a short article a few years ago, I sent an RFQ
(Request for Quote) for a MTR2000 station to more than a dozen Motorola
dealers around the country as well as to two local radio shops.  I included
a list of options I wanted, with instructions to not vary from the list.
What an eye-opener!  There was more than $2,000 difference between the
highest and lowest bids, and the highest came from one of the local radio
shops.  The owner of that shop had the gall to boast that he prided himself
on being very competitive, and he was sure that he would get my business.
No chance!

I suggest that you evaluate the trade-off between a 40 watt MTR2000 and the
100 watt station.  Not only is the 40 watt station about $600 cheaper, but
you can also cut about $200 by ordering the DC-only version that will run on
14 VDC.  The 100 watt DC-only station requires 28 VDC.  Personally, I prefer
to use an integral AC power supply for reliability.

73, Eric Lemmon WB6FLY