The latest models of the 259/269 have a recessed power switch to prevent it
from being turned on accidentally.

Bill - WA0CBW

In a message dated 11/23/2008 12:53:06 A.M. Central Standard Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

Albert,

I've had friends joke about MFJ standing for "mighty fine  junk," but I have
nothing but good things to say about my MFJ 259 antenna  analyzer.

If you're building antennas, the MFJ 259 (HF/VHF) or 269  (HF/VHF/UHF) are
really handy. If you're trying to find the resonant frequency  or set up a
gamma
match, they'll save a ton of time compared to an SWR  bridge/transmitter
combination, and give you more information, such as  resistance and reactance
displayed separately on the LCD. It also serves as a  counter and, in a pinch,
as
a (not-very-stable and somewhat microphonic)  signal generator.

But remember the limitations. You can't transmit through  them, so they can't
be used to monitor the behavior of an antenna under  operating conditions.
They can't be used to measure a transmitter's output  power like most SWR
bridges. They're also prone to error in any environment  where strong external
signals from nearby transmitters overwhelm the test  signal internally
generated by
the analyzer, which results in a false reading  of reflected power.

I would recommend these little boxes to anyone, but do have  one major
complaint - the internal battery scheme. The thing takes 10 AA  cells, they
don't
last long, and you have to remove several screws and  the case to change them.
You have to be really careful how you transport the  259, because the power
button sticks out where any bump will turn it on,  and run your batteries down.

After having the power bumped on during storage and a  resulting leak of the
alkalines after they ran down, I cleaned it up (no  permanent damage) and just
don't put batteries in mine any more. I use it on  the AC adapter, a
cigarette lighter cord, or an external battery pack,  all plugged into the 15V
input.

But I won't be without one!

73,
Paul, AE4KR