Jim Cicirello wrote:

> Doug,
>
> Did these radios relay thru the squad, towers, or were they direct to
> the ER?  Always wondered.

Reminds me of a story an old Mot tech told me one time. They had just
finished putting the 911 system in in Boyd County Kentucky. The hospital
had the portable telemetry stuff, and was rolling it out for all to see.
They hooked up the hospital CEO to the EKG, and flipped the switch. It
all fired up and the scope on the receiver equipment started to work.
All of a sudden, the scope flat lined! It scared the CEO nearly to
death, and all of the Motorola execs present held their breath. My buddy
spoke up and said, "Wait, I know what it is!", and ran out  the door.
The telemetry unit transmitted to the ambulance, and was cross band
repeated through a vehicular repeater to a UHF repeater back to the
hospital. My buddy jumped in the ambulance, yanked the time out timer,
and the whole system came back to life! Now, over the years, this story
may have very well grown in intensity , and/or truth, but that is the
way the story was relayed to me years ago..

To answer your question, It depends on the backbone system the EKG was a
part of, but from my knowledge, it was repeated through the ambulance..
73 Mike KA4MKG