Motorola copied their own Micor squelch action in the MSR2000 audio card without using the Micor chip. Looking at the manual for it makes a nice bit of context for the micor circuit.

I think Kevin hit the nail on the head with the really, REALLY good squelch action you can set right at the ragged edge without false triggers. Since I use audio delay boards in my repeaters, the micor's closure action is not as nice as the really really nice "hairy edge". I've actually noticed that the MSR2000 works just as well for this... and dare I say... personal preference, prefer it to the Micor.

I've played with several noise squelch designs. Zetron even included a "bi-level" squelch in one of their controllers... 45? 48? I don't remember now. In any event, if it's the no noise-burst you're looking for then simply adding another comparator that triggers about 10db above the first (assuming you want it Motorola style), and when it triggers it disables the time delay circuit of the first (read: discharges the timing capacitor). When the signal is removed, the timing capacitor has no time to charge between the time the "strong signal" comparator shuts off and the "weak signal" one does, hence no noise burst.

If you have a spare couple of hours, playing with building squelches if really pretty fun and easier than you might think. Grab a breadboard, your favorite active filter calculator, a couple of op amps and a couple of comparators and have fun!

73 DE N0MJS