I find it horribly inaccurate since it doesn’t take into account receiving
height.   What height are they calculating for?  Set-top first-story height?
Rooftop?  Tower top?  At the dirt?  I know they didn’t compensate for the 20 ft
altitude change between the end of my driveway and the front door of my house.

The exact position of the receiving antenna dictates a LOT.

A couple years ago, with my scanner and a telescoping antenna, I could hear 1
UHF station’s audio at my mailbox (low, at the road)

Near my house, 4 ft AGL - 3

Inside my house,  4 ft AGL – 1 (I watched 9/11 news off this station using
set-attached rabbit ears, go figure).  Oddly enough, not the same station that
I can hear at my mailbox (this station would be very non-LOS at my mailbox)

At the ‘tree line’ on my tower – 7

150’ up my tower – a whole hell of a lot more (all high power stations from
Tyler/Lufkin/Houston/Dallas-Ft Worth/Austin/Shreveport/Beaumont [within 250
miles or so]).  Some were very faint, but definitely there (and this is with an
Omni antenna and a half-deaf Uniden scanner…), some were stomped on by local
low-power stations.  The issue at that height is the antenna being directional
enough to isolate on-channel noise.

Now, the real question is, how bad does Fresnel affect DTV vs analog.  I betcha
you’ll have horrible problems with DTV signal in areas that tend to ‘ghost’,
where analog TV was perfectly watchable/listenable, just somewhat annoying.
9901 Sweetwater, Houston, TX 77037 (house where I grew up) had this problem.
As downtown Houston “swole” in the late 70s/early 80s ghosting became more and
more of a problem.  All we could do is kick our antenna farther west and add a
variable signal attenuator (ie ‘ ghost filter’) - didn’t help a whole lot.

JS