  From: Milt
  To: Repeater-Builder@yahoogroups.com
  Sent: Saturday, March 07, 2009 10:31 PM
  Subject: Re: [Repeater-Builder] Understanding Intermod

  Kevin,

  I recall a case where several UHF community repeaters were installed at a
  single site. This was not a pretty picture since there was no way to achive
  vertical seperation and transmitter combiners/receiver multicouplers were
  not as popular as they are today. An intermod study weas run on the site
  and at either the 5th or 7th order, every receiver on the site should have
  been experiencing intermod from a combination of all the transmitters. Of
  course this was not the case. It was just the program spitting out all the
  possible combinations that "COULD" cause a problem.

  All intermod programs just do the mathmatical combinations and report the
  outcomes, even outragous ones that are not likely to naturally occur. Some
  do a better job than others of taking into account things like receiver
  bandwidth and other factors. Actually finding the source where the mix is
  taking place much more difficult. The benefit of such programs is that they
  can easily do the math for you, but you have to decide which numbers are
  good possibilities and which ones are red herrings.

  Milt
  N3LTQ