At 7/13/2009 19:38, you wrote:

>I'd be leaning toward an HP.  Even if you have to pay a little more up
>front, you'll come out ahead of the game in the long run.  I have three HP's
>(two 8920B's and an 8921A, with various options), and in the last ten years
>or so, only once have I had to get one of them repaired (spectrum analyzer
>self-test wasn't passing).
>
>Up until fairly recently I also had an IFR 1500 (I think I got it in 1993 or
>thereabouts).  While I loved the 1500 in my regards, it became too expensive
>to continue to repair.  The death knell for it was when the CRT died (the
>original CRT's are NLA, Aeroflex wanted something like $2200 to install a
>different CRT and replace the power supply with a different type that was
>compatible with the new CRT).  Thanks but no thanks...

Have you ever tried KG Electronics (http://kgelectronics.com)?

W.r.t. the CRT, some 3rd party vendors have developed replacement LCD
displays for some of the old yet popular instrumentation, for example the
HP8720 VNA: <http://www.ntecusa.com/sales/dsp_model.cfm?modelID=21273>.  I
wonder what it would take to develop such a retrofit for the older IFR
monitors?

Bob NO6B