At 7/26/2009 07:15, you wrote:

>If you have a closed repeater or know of someone that does, why is it
>closed? It is monetary, or a decision to limit access to a group of friends?
>Most I know of, are a group of friends.
>
>John

Out here we have (maybe had - not sure if the coordinating bodies still
follow this, but they did at one point) distinctions between the above 2
reasons: a CLOSED repeater is one where permission is required to use it,
but that permission can be obtained simply by joining a support
organization, and thus is open to all provided they pay dues.  PRIVATE
repeaters also require permission to use, but that permission is at the
discretion of the trustee.  The private repeaters are typically the "group
of friends" systems.

Yet another classification is noted in the list at
<http://rptrlist.w6jpl.ampr.org>: "friendly" systems (either closed or
private) allow occasional usage by non-members for purposes of
"test-driving" the system or to simply say hi.  This is good IMO as it
gives noobies more repeaters to try without risk of being chewed out for
intruding on someone's "private frequency".

Bob NO6B