Skipp, right, you do get audio compression by "hitting" the limiter in the
transmitter harder.  I've done that several times myself on repeaters.  It does
give a nice boost to the user's audio, but it increases audio background noise
by the same amount.  I've A/Bd input audio vs. output audio numerous times and
the output audio always has more wind noise, other people talking, RF noise,
etc., than the input does.  Essentially, this is a very fast release compressor.

This is why I always recommend SLOW release compression, more properly called
AGC or ALC.  Several seconds release time for sure.  It sounds much better than
hitting the transmitter limiter harder, and accomplishes the same goal.

Laryn K8TVZ