From: Repeater-Builder@yahoogroups.com
[mailto:repeater-buil...@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Kevin Custer
Sent: Saturday, August 22, 2009 3:38 PM
To: Repeater-Builder@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [Repeater-Builder] isolation

Eric,

You may have missed the point.  While your program calculated a necessary
isolation amount of 99.65 dB, using a GE M2 PLL exciter would dictate 77.65
dB of necessary isolation - which is easily obtainable with a quality 4
cavity (okay, 4 large cavity) duplexer.  While I certainly wouldn't
recommend a duplexer using four 5" cavities, a four cavity duplexer
utilizing 8 inch cavities would provide more than adequate isolation (90+ dB
of isolation) for this gentleman's arrangement.  If he were using a
multiplier exciter (which the 'program' assumed), then one can certainly
understand your recommendation - but - he did say PLL exciter and M2
equipment.  I'm not sure I understand your statement "Nothing about
duplexers is for certain".   All of the duplexers I have ever tuned came out
to factory specifications or better.  If not, something was physically wrong
- lightning damage - cabling problems - loop problems, etc.  I don't believe
that if this person were to utilize a quality four cavity duplexer that we'd
be setting him up for failure.  Engineering is on our side, and he can
benefit from not needing to spend extra money for something that isn't
really necessary.

BTW:  It is possible to duplex a PLL exciter (200 mW) and M2 receiver (no
preamp) at 600 kHz with nothing more than a tee connector.  You do have to
skew the helical tuning a bit so the skirt is sharp on the side of the
transmitter; which reduces receive sensitivity to less than factory
specification.  I won't say there will be zero desense, but you won't even
get close with a multiplier exciter in the same test.

It's fun - tastes great - less filling!

Kevin

        Kevin,

        Nothing about duplexers is "for certain."  While I agree that a PLL
exciter
        is inherently less noisy than its multiplier counterpart, I never
assume
        that it's okay to plan ahead for less than optimum isolation.  Some
duplexer
        designs are known to have better performance than physically
identical
        designs from other manufacturers- the silver-plated copper cans from
Decibel
        Products are one example.  I feel that it's better to have a
duplexer that
        is perfectly tuned and has absolutely zero desense, than a
lower-performance
        duplexer that has only a little desense.

        In an ideal world, KJ4SI should be able to buy a four-cavity BpBr
duplexer
        and try it out for 30 days to see if it had zero desense- with the
option to
        purchase two more cans and the appropriate jumpers at a discount for
        upgrading it to a six-cavity duplexer.

        73, Eric Lemmon WB6FLY