--- In Repeater-Builder@yahoogroups.com, John Sehring <wb...@...> wrote:

> There seems to be confusion & mystery in the crowd of radio buffs that
I han out with (not in this group!) on the subject of connecting cable
lengths for cavity & duplexer use. I've heard that the manufacturers of
such devices also tend to be mum on this.

These sets of cables are generally known (where I come from) as
"critical length harnesses".

> It seems to me that if these devices are tuned up to perform their
function(s) (notch, peak, bandpass, bandreject, etc.) with 50 ohms of
pure R in & out as source & load Z, cable length ought not make a
difference (within reason, I'm not talking long cables with significant
losses) to their performance.

> Is this so? Am I missing something? Thanx!

Common sense would say you're right on the money. However, I think that
common sense only applies if the velocity factor of your cable is 100%.
There's also something to do with the "shape" of waves travelling along
it, and voltage/current minima and maxima, I suppose :-)