At 8/31/2009 06:33, you wrote:
>Hi Guys,
>We spent most of yesterday working on a UHF Mastr II Exec. Repeater, we
>are using a TRAM 1481 Dual Band Antenna on. This is the high gain 8.3 dB
>VHF/11.7 UHF. The system uses UHF Repeater, VHF Simplex, and IRLP. The
>antenna works very poorly on UHF and much better on VHF. The SWR is about
>3-1 on both frequencies. The antenna is not DC Ground and there is no
>shorted connectors. Lack of help prevented us from taking the antenna down
>and apart at this time. We ran tests by putting the antenna on a portable
>and working a fixed base and again the VHF pinned the meter and the UHF
>was weak, only a couple of S units better than the portable rubber duck.
>Has anyone had a similar problem. I understand that the antenna is a
>compromise and not as good as a single band folded dipole for example, but
>several of us have these and they work great except for this one. I am
>thinking there are enough Tram 1481 out there and someone may have had the
>same problem.

I can't speak for the 1481 since I never had one, but I never had any
matching or duplexing problems with the 1480 (lower gain 8' version).  I
also have a few Comet GP9s in service & they work fine, with advertised
gain on both bands - no compromise.

>Also there has been many posts about the LMR400 used in repeater service.
>It is my understanding that the foil type should NEVER be used between
>duplexers, from the TX, RX to the Duplexers, but I am not sure about
>between the duplexer and the antenna. Comments please!

You definitely don't want LMR400 any place where duplexed signals are
present.  This means between the duplexer & antenna.  Not sure why it would
be a problem for the TX & RX connections to the duplexer unless the
connectors weren't installed properly, but then again why take the chance
on a short jumper where loss isn't an issue?  Silver-plated RG-214, RG-393,
RG-223, RG-400, or RG-142 is known to be safe for that application.

Bob NO6B