Terry,

In lieu of the ideal bench equipment, yes, the IC-2710 is better than a
handheld, since its impedances are supposed to be close to 50 ohms at the
connector.  You are to be commended for your creativity in making do with
what you have.  Since your duplexer has been moved from its original
settings, you can only improve matters.

Let's review your process:  You generate your 449.625 MHz receive signal
with the service monitor, and inject it into the duplexer's antenna
connector, with your monitoring radio set to 449.625 MHz and connected to
the RX (high pass) connector of the duplexer, and a 50-ohm dummy load on the
TX (low pass) connector of the duplexer.  The SINAD input of your service
monitor is connected to the monitoring radio's speaker, and you adjust the
center rods of the high-pass cans to get 12 dB SINAD with the lowest level
signal at the RX connector.

Next, without changing any of the connections, you set the service monitor
to generate 444.625 MHz and program the monitoring radio to receive 444.625
MHz.  With your service monitor generating the highest-level signal possible
(at least 0 dBm, but higher is better), you adjust the notch capacitors on
both high-pass cans to minimize the received signal.  You might get better
results by monitoring the RSSI voltage at the radio.  Do not move the
threaded tuning rods at all.

Next, reverse the positions of the monitoring radio and the dummy load.  The
service monitor is still generating 444.625 MHz at a high level, so bring
the output level down to about -100 dBm or so.  While monitoring the SINAD
meter adjust the center rods of the low-pass cans to achieve 12 dB SINAD
with the lowest possible output of the service monitor.

Finally, set both the service monitor and the monitoring radio to 449.625
MHz.  Crank up the output level of the service monitor to maximum, and
adjust the notch capacitors on both low-pass cans for a minimum receive
signal.  Again, you might need to meter the RSSI voltage as you tune the
notch capacitors.

Repeat all four steps above until there is no improvement, since there is
always some interaction between the low-pass and high-pass sides, especially
if significant changes are made to either side.  The primary disadvantage of
this simple procedure is that the output level of the service monitor may
not be high enough to achieve a sufficient signal at the notch frequency to
get the tuning exact.

It is true that duplexer tuning can be affected by rough handling,
especially if one of the cavities gets dented.  However, a high-quality
duplexer is seldom affected by temperature, because the center tuning rod is
normally made of Invar- an alloy that minimizes sensitivity to temperature.
Keep in mind that the shack temperature is not the only factor to consider;
a typical six-cavity duplexer on a 250-watt repeater will be heated by the
transmitted carrier due to insertion loss of 2.2 dB, amounting to about 100
watts lost inside the cavities.

73, Eric Lemmon WB6FLY