At 10/9/2009 06:32, you wrote:
>I applaud the desire to build a "special event" 2-meter "portable" repeater.
>I honestly think that most well-intentioned groups don't understand the
>technical difficulty to accomplish this task without spending a lot of
>money.
>
>However, it begs the question -- isn't there an existing, nearby 2-meter
>repeater that could be used?
>
>Chuck
>WB2EDV

In my case, sadly, no.  Yeah, you'd think in the heart of the 2nd largest
city in the US that there'd be a lot of HT-accessible repeaters to
use.  But at the time I set out to build my first 2 meter portable system,
only ONE 2 meter repeater had adequate coverage along the 26.2 mile LA
Marathon course.  ONE!  At the time, the course roughly ran a circle with
its eastern-most point in downtown LA.  So we needed HT coverage in
downtown, Hollywood, the Fairfax district, & the Coliseum.  Aside from the
high building density in a few areas (not many - we don't have lots of
highrises like NYC & Chicago), this shouldn't have been a difficult area to
cover.  Certainly there were a lot of repeaters that could be HEARD in the
target area, but most were not HT-accessible.  The situation is a little
better now on 2 meters but still to this day there is a 220 repeater that
should cover the whole course, & in fact can be heard solidly along the
whole route, but has a deaf RX & apparently the owner doesn't want to fix
it.  So we ignore it & use our own system installed specifically for the event.

Bob NO6B