At 11/27/2009 15:27, you wrote:

> > Great!  Too bad the manufacturer didn't do this;
> > would've saved you & others the trouble of having
> > to characterize a brand new component.
>
>I actually ended up verifying what another person on
>a similar path did before me.
>
> > I didn't miss that at all.  You seem to be missing
> > my point that the leading, small resonators in front
> > of the GLB will either degrade the NF far more than
> > a 1/4 wave coaxial resonator, or offer far less
> > out-of-band rejection.
>
>We were talking about two different directions. Yes to
>all the above if the topic is pre-amplifiers and external
>cavities.
>
>A GLB Pre-Selector Pre-Amplifier at a high RF Site
>parked bare naked between a duplexer and a receiver can
>out perform some bare preamplifiers.

Of course - no argument there.  But as you mention above, I'm not making
that comparison.

>  If you have the
>luxury of the extra typical High Q band-pass cavities
>then the NF will be better... but again the 3rd order
>performance might not be and what happens after the
>active device plays a much more important part of the
>realized high signal level performance.

...if you're considering overall system performance, which is largely a
function of the RX you're using.  If you're using one of the "bulletproof"
older commercial RXs, the preamp's dynamic range becomes much more
important that the RX.

> > Only if the GaAsFET preamp is maldesigned.  Some
> > will break into oscillation at different source/load
> > complex impedances.
>
>The key is the manufactures data sheet for the device
>and the completed pre-amplifiers real world measured
>3rd order performance.

This reply appears to be in the context of one designing their own
preamp.  I was thinking in terms of commercially available preamps.

> > I don't worry about my RX's dynamic range - I use GEs  :)
> > But if you're not, more pass cavities, or even your GLB
> > preselector, after the preamp are an easy fix, since
> > loss is less of an issue there.
>
>Receiver/antenna system design and construction can be
>just this side of voodoo magic.

I think this is where/why we seem to be missing each other's points.  To me
it's not magic at all: it's simple, straightforward engineering.  If you
have a ballpark antenna noise temperature, RX noise temperature (deduced
from 12 dB SINAD), knowledge of nearby (in freq. & location) potential
"problem" radiators, you can calculate the necessary hardware (gain,
required noise figure & filtering) to get the most noise-free signal
detected.  I suppose the more unknowns you have in the above equation, the
more it becomes "voodoo magic".

> > Well, again we're talking (OK, typing) but simply
> > not communicating.  P1dB & 3rd order intercept are
> > closely related, as they are both measures of a
> > widget's dynamic range/linearity, & I use the terms
> > somewhat interchangeably for the purposes of this
> > discussion.
>
>Closely related but not necessarily the same. Where
>they are different in high level operation can be
>and sometimes is a big factor in the system performance.

Irrelevant; we're really getting off track on this one.  Neither P1dB nor
3rd order intercept of an amplifier is affected by filtering placed after it.

> > Again, the ONLY filtering that will improve an
> > amplifier's resistance to IMD is filtering on its
> > input, not its output. The tuned stages that are
> > after the GaAsFET in the GLB serve only to protect
> > the following device (RX or another preamp) from
> > overload by out-of-band signals.
>
>Nope, the trailing stages do contribute to the
>GLB IMD Performance. The out of band issue is an
>additional side benefit.

Incorrect.  If a large signal is presented to the active device, how do
tuned stages on the OUTPUT of the active device protect it from
overload?  They can't.

> > In the case of a good commercial RX like our GE
> > Mastr IIs & Motorola Micors, this is almost
> > always unnecessary, since they already have integral
> > high Q (& lossy!) helical resonators.
>
>The key issue is the band-width of the above radio
>front end circuits, which are fairly wide in the
>real world.

The measured 3 dB bandwidth of a G.E. MVP front-end helical resonator
assembly is 1.8 MHz.  I don't consider that "fairly wide".

> > FWIW the BF981 is a dual-gate MOSFET, not a GaAsFET.
>
>Yep, but the GLB trailing tuned circuits would also
>improve the realized GaAs Fet device equipped 3rd
>order performance... as would properly set cavities
>between a pre-amplifiers output and the receivers
>input.

No, they don't.  They only improve the 3rd order performance of whatever is
downstream.

>I suspect the point being missed here... is when a
>preamplifier is generating spectral buckshot in a
>very toxic condition... the filtering after
>the active device improves/reduces what the receiver
>sees/has to deal with.

If the preamp is generating "spectral buckshot", you're already
screwed.  The typical symptom here is on-channel crap being generated by
the preamp, which of course cannot be filtered out.

>  Mucho better to have high
>Q cavities if you can but the GLB trailing tuned
>circuits are better than the nadda of a bare preamp
>dumping a wider mix of poop direct into a receiver
>front end.

No, the correct solution is to not allow the nonlinearity in the first
place.  Letting the preamp generate "poop" & then filtering the off-channel
garbage you've already generated in that preamp is a poor solution; the
in-band garbage generated in the preamp goes right on through.

>No one wants an overloaded preamplifier condition
>but there are interesting ways to manage and improve
>the situation. The GLB preamplifier design is one
>such layout that receives little credit for doing
>the mentioned.

Well, IMO it gets all the credit it's due.

No published NF + no published P1dB or 3rd order intercept = suspect product.

Let's move on - I think this thread has run its course.

Bob NO6B