I've removed thousands of feet of LMR-400 feedline from
radio sites as a process to source and eliminate IMD, mixing
gremlins and unwanted effects. Most all of it was in
duplex service, but not every example.

> I believe the issues with LMR were resolved years ago
> Chuck.  Can you refresh the group on some of the
> primary issues?

No resolved issues that I've seen news of, Times Microwave
LMR-400 is still constructed with dissimilar metals, copper
and aluminum subject to galvanic corrosion.

There are three conditions that must exist for galvanic
corrosion to occur. First there must be two electrochemically
dissimilar metals present. Second, there must be an
electrically conductive path between the two metals. And
third, there must be a conductive path for the metal ions
to move from the more anodic metal to the more cathodic metal.

If any one of these three conditions does not exist, galvanic corrosion will
not occur. Times Microwave LMR-400 feed line
meets all three conditions for galvanic corrosion to occur.

Often when design requires that dissimilar metals come in
contact, the galvanic compatibility is managed by "finishes
and plating".

The internal finishing and plating selected facilitate the
dissimilar materials being in contact and protect the base
materials from corrosion. When the feed-line even slightly
vibrates (IE wind movement) the internal finishing and
plating is modified and eventually it will start to break
down.

In addition to potential Galvanic Corrosion issues you can
actually experience signal generation (noise) when the feed
line moves in the wind (or by manual physical movement). The
same mechanism is what allows a dry-cell battery to produce
electricity.

And dissimilar metals contacts can also become potential
(point contact) diodes, another page of RF fun.

Hope that helps explain it...

cheers,
skipp