> No "tone" service where I was.

Ha!  Whistle up 2600 on an 800 call and the world was your oyster...

> I first box I actually owned outright is a timex Sinclair
> 1000 with the 16k
> ram pak sitting out in the shed/shack

Mine was a Trash-80 Model I.  I cut my teeth on a VAX-11/750 at a local
college before getting the TRS-80.  Around the same time I tinkered with a
friend's IMSAI 8080.  I had one of the Timex-Sinclair's that I got via a
discount coupon that came with a case of Maxell betamax video cassettes.

Those were the days.  My Apple ][ ran a 1 MHz 6502, had 64K of RAM, and I
had the unheard-of luxury (for back then) of having a 5 MB hard drive.  In
contrast, over Christmas I built myself a new workstation based on an
overlocked quad-core i7 processor, 6 GB of RAM, 3 TB of storage, etc. and I
spent less on it as compared to my Apple ][ rig.  My how far we've come...

Enough reminiscing, I probably sound like one of those OF's on 80m that
talks about their gout, their pension, and what orifice they're having
scoped this week, back to real work.

                        --- Jeff WN3A