Depending on what coverage you are looking to expect, will help you choose
the proper gain antenna.

A higher gain antenna is not always a good choice and can cause more
problems and poor coverage then you would expect nearby the repeater.

What is you HAAT? Are most the user going to be fixed station mobile users
or HT?  if so How far away from the repeater will you users be?

If your users are near by the site and you have a erp you do not need to
exceed a lower gain antenna or unity gain might do you a great job.

SWR 2:1 have you check this antenna with a true 50ohm analyzer, or into the
transmitter without the duplexers?

Hello All,

I am looking to rebuild a 70cm repeater with an output within the ham band.
We currently have a non-tunable fiberglass comercial band antenna wich is
giving us a SWR of about 2:1. The first piece of advice we are looking for
is recomendations for replacing the antena. There are some conciderations to
go with this. Since it is a privately owned repeater it is in a back yard
and not mounted very high due to lack of an antenna tower or space to put
one up on the property. The antenna will be mounted at about 20 feet from
ground level and we are looking to maximize coverage area so we are looking
at high gain antennas such as the Diamond F718 which would be a step up as
it would lower our SWR. What are your thoughts with this antenna or
recomendations on other high gain antennas for the 70cm band?

Also, we are looking to replace the repeater itself. Right now we have an
old Kenwood business band repeater that has been modified to work in the ham
band but it is becoming more unstable as time progresses. We want to keep
the equipment as back up and would like to look into a new system. We want
something that is computer programable if possible. It also should work with
an external controller as we are using a CAT-1000 with an attached weather
station and CAT weather radio reciever. Right now we are coordinated at 25
watts output but would like to have a repeater that could run 50 watts
continuous. Also, we would like to stay away from D-STAR simply because of
personal preferance. Any suggestions or reccomendations for the repeater
unit?

Thanks for your help!

Andrew
KB8UPB