This question came up on the list earlier, and I replied off-list to the person
who inquired.  After that I was asked to post the procedure I used to disable
the internal controller and connect and external controller.

Here is the procedure, but I must give credit to Gary “JR” Sutton, who is the
one who assisted me with this…

DISCONNECT and/or REMOVE the internal signaling unit.
On CN6 of the repeater, apply a jumper to pins 2&3, 8&9, 10&11, respectively.
If the external controller is wired CORRECTLY to the 15 pin accessory plug, it
WILL work properly.
NEVER use the internal controller with an external controller. You are asking
for problems.
Note: CN6 is also CN2 at the internal signaling unit – you can insert your
jumpers at either location.

Connect the controller to the 15-pin accessory plug on the rear of the repeater:

Pin     Function                        Use

1         Hook Switch                   Must be grounded for unit to transmit

2         TX Mod. input ground

3         Direct Modulation Input   This is where your CTCSS and/or DCS output
from your controller would go. (SUB TONE)

4         RX Discriminator output  This is the raw receiver carrier, this is
before squelch

5         TX Modulation input        Transmit audio out of the controller

6         Speaker ground

7         Switched B+

8         PTT

9         Speaker Input                 This ties to pin 12 to use internal
speaker

10       De-Emphasis output       Squelched RX audio    DO NOT USE

11       GROUND

12       Speaker output               RX audio controlled by volume control

13       COR output                    I believe this is an active low

14       N/C

15       N/C

73 de Mark – N9WYS