I know I am going to get the singular answer of "WHY" but I really would like
some technical input on this.

In my car I have an old Genesis series convertacom connected to a dual band
Comet antenna. I often will swap my VHF and UHF HT back and forth and utilize
the dual band capability of my antenna. It works pretty well.

What I would like to get some input on however, is how to run some power with
this setup.

Of course the easiest would be to get a amateur dual band amplifier, but I
already have a VHF and a UHF (N1275A and N1274A) amplifier.

What I would like to do is parallel these two amps with some kind of
switching/duplexer setup so that I could easily switch from VHF to UHF.

My initial idea was to run an antenna switch from the convertacom to the amps
so I can manually select which one the signal goes to. Then on the output side
of the amps I thought about using an antenna duplexer on the output of the amps
to feed the antenna. I was also thinking of running a switch to alternately
select which amp was receiving DC power, but I don't know if that would be
necessary. (Could I leave both amps powered on in this situation?)

So, does this sound about right or am I going off the deep end?

Thanks
Albert