From: Repeater-Builder@yahoogroups.com <Repeater-Builder@yahoogroups.com>
To: Repeater-Builder@yahoogroups.com <Repeater-Builder@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Wed Mar 03 08:50:29 2010
Subject: Re: [Repeater-Builder] Re: Hamtronics versus Commercial (Kenwood)
Repeater Selection

How would you stack a Kenwood TKR against a Motorola R1225?

On Tue, Mar 2, 2010 at 9:44 PM, Eric Lemmon <wb6...@verizon.net
<mailto:wb6...@verizon.net> > wrote:

        Skipp,

        I agree with nearly every point you made, having had experience with
both
        the Kenwood and Hamtronics repeaters. However, Hamtronics and similar
        repeaters have one serious deficiency: A total lack of PA protection
against
        high SWR due to antenna or feedline problems. In addition, the
Hamtronics
        PAs have no active power control circuitry; if the supply voltage goes
up,
        the output power goes up, and vice-versa. The Kenwood TKR-x50
repeaters, on
        the other hand, have both active power control and high SWR protection
        built-in.

        I have a Hamtronics REP-200 repeater in service right now on 224.500
MHz,
        and I took the precaution of hanging a single ferrite isolator on its TX
        output to protect the very simple 15 watt PA. So far, so good...

        73, Eric Lemmon WB6FLY