A quick google search turns up this:
http://www.dxengineering.com/Products.asp?ID=102&SecID=51&DeptID=19

2 inch strap for $1.83 per foot.

Someone earlier said that 1/2 inch copper pipe cost around $2.20 per foot.
If 1/2 inch pipe is really 5/8 inch outside diameter that would give you a
surface area, as I said before, of 1.96 inches.

2 inch copper strap would give you a surface area of 4 inches. Better than
twice the surface area of the pipe and less money.

To get the same surface area with pipe as with copper strap you would have
to pay about $4.50 per foot for pipe verses $1.96 for strap.

Doesn't look cheaper to me.

73
Gary K4FMX