Lots of good ideas and explanations out there on this issue.

I have never heard of any complaints of this problem on our Micor repeaters
with users having commercial or decent amateur equipment.

What I do is use both the factory encoder and decoder and modify the station
for "AND" squelch. I leave the station in PL all the time and only feed the
controller the COR signal from the squelch gate card.
I have a combination of Link-Com, Arcom, and ICS controllers in service with
the Micors with no complaints of squelch crashes on decent radios. One of the
worst I have found is Yaseu for producing squelch crashes when the repeater
drops. My Yaseu mobile with or without PL decode turned on has a crash (and it
is not all that bad) when the repeater drops. My Kenwood amateur radios work
just fine. As they say.."You can't fix stupid". Well the same is true with some
of the amateur equipment out there .."You can't always fix a badly designed
radio either".

I agree with those who also think it is really time in amateur equipment made
in this day and age of firmware programmable radios to provide a proper working
PL/DPL circuit with reverse burst capability and provide some flexibility in
being able to program different PL/DPL tones for transmit and receive.

I am working on my first MSR2000 for amateur service and I was expecting the
same results from it that we are seeing from the Micors. Maybe I am expecting
too much, I will see how it comes out in the next couple weeks.

Joe - WA7JAW