--- In Repeater-Builder@yahoogroups.com, Nate Duehr <n...@...> wrote:

> I like D-STAR as a not-very-well-designed "first try" and use it... but it's
> seriously technologically flawed.  Some of that can be fixed... other things
> like the header information not being interlaced...
>
> --
> Nate Duehr, WY0X
> n...@...

Hmmm... I'm sitting here with my NQMHS Node Adapter (GMSK Modem) and watching
the binary stream, in both Hex and Char, off of my IC-91AD, while transmitting
for a few seconds.  It seems the callsign information is repeated on a pretty
continuous basis looking at the trace. I think it may just be a
repeater/gateway control implementation issue.

It seems to me, that almost everywhere I go (and I have traveled extensively),
if all of the repeater pairs are coordinated, most of them have essentially
zero traffic on them and sometimes one individual or organization holds many
pairs covering essentially the same geography.  Why not convert or replace some
of those analog machines?  Conversion runs less than $150 if you are going to
run without Internet connectivity, add a computer and router to the price for
Internet connectivity.

I can tell you with certainty that having D-STAR (or most digital voice modes)
on the same repeater with analog users is impractical in amateur radio. Many,
if not most hams, don't even use CTCSS on their radio's squelch and even if
they did the squelch can be falsed by the digital signal. We have a D-STAR
repeater in the Seattle area (atop a 42 story building) and it is on a Shared
Non-Protected pair on 2 meters. The sync pattern at the beginning of
transmissions will open the squelch on CTCSS squelched radios (100 hz.) at 60+
miles away (for users of another FM only SNP repeater in Port Angeles).
Listening to the structured "noise" of a GMSK digital signal on your analog
radio is not an activity one would want to undertake for any extended period.

73 de K7VE
NW7DR - experimental D-STAR access point simplex and duplex.