On Mon, 12 Apr 2010, hitekgearhead wrote:
> I know this has been thrown around a bit before but I could use a
> little assistance.
>
> I just purchased a crimper and a couple sets of dies. I bought some
> cheap BNC and TNC connectors to practice with along with some RG-58A/U
> cable.
>
> I bought 3 different sets of dies. One of which is for RG-8 size
> connectors so I am not really concerned with that yet. The other two
> dies have hex crimp sizes of .324, .255, .215, .100, .068 and .215,
> .184, .068, .042 Obviously these two dies duplicate the .215 and .068
> sizes.

.215 is what I use for RG-58, .255 is used for RG-59/LMR-240/RG-8X. I
think .68 or .100 is used for the center pin of either of those, but
it's often connector dependent. The .042 crimp will be for the smaller
varieties of coax like RG-174's center pin (or perhaps the micro-coax
they use in the U.FL connectors.)

If you look around, you'll find that you've equipped yourself to crimp
anything from RG-6 all the way down to RG-174, and certain types of
Fiber Optics.

I'm a firm believer in investing in good tools. I think you've made the
purchase of a lifetime, so to speak. You won't have to replace that
crimper until you either wear it out or need to replace the jaws.

> Basically I am not sure what size hex to use for the above stated
> RG-58A/U and BNC and TNC connectors.

.215.

> Also, I have a question regarding stripping the cable. I am not going
> to be doing high volumes of cables, but probably will be doing them on
> different size of coax. Would you recommend a stripper or will a razor
> knife suffice.

If you're making a lot of cables, the stripping tools they make are
excellent for speeding coax preparation. Most of them make cable prep
easier than cutting copper pipe.

> Lastly, and relating to the coax strippers: Don't different
> connectors, even on the same type/size of coax, need different
> stripping lengths? This would probably translate into quite a few
> different strippers for different cables and connectors, no?

You can kinda eye-ball this using a nice pair of strippers, a sharp
knife, and some careful cutting. Just remember that you can't allow
either piece to touch and that you don't have to strip to entire center
conductor. Also, the shield should usually be cut back to just long
enough to interface with the shield ring, preferably the entire length
of the shield ring.

I usually strip about 2" of RG-58 of the outer jacket, cut the shield
down to 1/2" from the jacket, then start eyeballing to figure out where
I have to strip the inner conductor to get it out of the end of the
center pin. Or into the center pin, as the case may be.

--
Kris Kirby, KE4AHR
Disinformation Analyst