  From: Larry Horlick
  To: Repeater-Builder@yahoogroups.com
  Sent: Tuesday, April 20, 2010 12:38 PM
  Subject: Re: [Repeater-Builder] Sinclair C-Series cable lengths

  The cavities were initially tuned individually and the loop positions set for
  1 db IL. They were then coupled together using a 18.5" cable and the rods
  touched up to re-establish resonance. The measured IL is now 2.9. The loop
  positions were not changed after coupling. When using the RL bridge I do not
  see one clear notch, but rather a notch that has a bump; kinda looks like 2
  notches. This is what I always see even when cavities are factory tuned, so
I'm
  confident that the tuning is OK.

  On Tue, Apr 20, 2010 at 9:26 AM, Jeff DePolo <j...@broadsci.com> wrote:

    > I have 2 C-Series bandpass cavities, with individual I.L. set
    > at 1.0 db each. When I couple them together and measure, I
    > get a total I.L. of 2.9 db. I should see something like 2.1
    > or 2.2. I have measured the coupling cable and see < .1 db,
    > so the cable is good. Anyone have an idea why the loss is so
    > high when coupled?

    Most likely they aren't tuned correctly for maximum return loss, and when
    you cascade them, the resonant frequency is no longer where you thought it
    was (i.e. a "detuning" effect). Have you measured the return loss of the
    cavities individually?

    --- Jeff WN3A