Radio Reference is an excellent resource, and you can find all the below and
more there.

Generally the UHF frequencies (certainly in the Sacramento area) are for the
Capital Division which protects state property, as well as state officials.
 Other areas in California that have significant state properties will
probably have a Capital Division presence (as in SF for example).  These are
the successors to the old State Police folks that merged into CHP in the
mid-80's.

The extender frequencies (as others have said I think) are only really
useful when you're within a mile or two of where an officer is out of the
car.

You may also find a couple of frequencies in the 70 mhz range that are used
to interconnect remote receiver sites with their respective dispatch
centers.  North Sacramento is an example.

But for traveling there is no getting around the low band VHF dispatch/car
channels.  The extenders might be useful, but your looking at listening
primarily to the VHF-LO range.

             Have fun!

                     Dennis

--
I've been wondering lately..."Where am I going and why AM I in this hand
basket??"

Dennis L. Wade
KG6ZI
Carmichael, CA