Hi Ted and Stan,
It all started with new hams and old 2-meter rigs w/o PL. I bought a couple
of TD-1 Ramsey Kits to get the Hams into the local repeater. The kits were
not stable so we started to experiment, thinking it would be nice to improve
on the CTCSS Tone filter in the TS-32 which we have many of, and build a
encoder/decoder board with the new and improved filter on it. There are
several enc/dec  units available, we just thought it may be fun to build a
few boards and save a few bucks, but found the 567 didn't work like many
articles said it should. We then started looking for JUST THE
ENCODER/DECODER chips, but it appears that most chips are from the UK. Just
experimenting guys.

--
Jim Cicirello
181 Stevens Street