All,

Very rarely do I cross post a message from one group to another.  I'm a member
of the Private Wireless Forum (PWF) since I have dealings with the commercial
LMR industry as well as the FCC.

The FCC is proposing consolidating it's licensing system into one database.
Whether that happens or not, it still involves the hams to a certain extent.

Most of you receiving this email will disregard it, since the vast majority of
the list members are hams just using the spectrum as their personal hobby.
However, since the list is so huge it also encompasses members who are actively
involved in commercial entities.  And not to mention those hams who will renew
their licenses in the future.

Please read the message below that was posted on the PWF forum.

Thank you.

Don, KD9PT

Subject: (PWF) The FCC's Consolidated Licensing System

Nobody has mentioned the FCC's proposed Consolidated Licensing System.
This is going to change the way licenses and antenna structure
registrations get done. All those separate systems and forms are going
to merge into one big system. And the forms and data required on
applications may change significantly.

They had a workshop recently where representatives of law firms,
engineering firms, associations of licensees, etc. gave brief
descriptions of how they use the current licensing systems and how
they'd like to see the systems changed. Interesting stuff... sorta. You
can watch the workshop (all 3 hours of it!) at reboot.FCC.gov under the
Events tab.

I have a LOT of things I'd like changed in the way licenses are handled.
For instance: you can only renew an STA in the 10 days prior to its
expiration date even though the license shows up 90 days in advance of
the expiration date in your FRN renewal list. That's just the tiniest
tip of the iceberg.

The FCC says they are looking for input on ways to make things easier,
faster, whatever. If you let somebody else handle all your FCC paperwork
you probably don't care. But if you get your hands into the FCC's
systems, you may want to pay attention to what's going on.

Check out: http://reboot.fcc.gov/