At 5/17/2010 18:22, you wrote:
>On Mon, May 17, 2010 at 09:16:32PM -0400, MCH wrote:
> > Either that, or it was disinformation (although it's easy enough to
> > verify - I just didn't want to pick up the TT4 and look at it since it
> > was connected and operating). One of his products even has PIC in the name.
>
>         I can confirm that the TT4 uses an ATMega... built version is
>SMT (but I've never handled one), the TT4 kit I built and am using is
>in DIP-40.
>
>         I don't think a PIC would handle encoding/decoding, and KISS
>support along with the tracking code and the like.

I wouldn't be so sure.  Like PICs, the ATmega644P is an 8-bit device.  Max.
clock speed is 20 MHz.  Some high end PICs can run @ 40 MHz.

The TT3+ used a mid-range PIC (16F series), which probably wouldn't be up
to the task of decoding, & at the assembly level the mid & high range PICs
aren't code-compatible, so porting code from the mid-range probably
wouldn't be any easier between the high-end PICs & the Atmel.

Bob NO6B