Barry,
The method that I use to accomplish this, is to build "Macros" that only
require 12 button pads to execute them. You can string several functions
together within a Macro that can then be executed with a single multi-digit
command. I normally use a 4 digit command structure for calling the macros.

You still need either a 16 button microphone or a serial port to build the
macros.

Hope this helps with the explanation of how to get from A to B.

Joe - WA7JAW