On Sunday 15 August 2010 02:27:17 ZephyrNYC wrote:
>  On Sat, Aug 14, 2010 at 20:32, Nate Duehr <n...@natetech.com> wrote:
> > Very little, typically. Almost all have solid-state components that would
> > be utterly dead after an EMP. Tube gear that survives EMP better is
> > virtually all gone. And user radios are required for any repeater to be
> > useful, and they'd all be totally dead too.
>
> Nate, your assessment then is that all repeaters within range of an EMP
> would be wiped out?

Having talking with some folks who were charged with calculating the
effects of EMP, a rough guideline is that anything you want to survive
be buried in at least 20 feet underground, and more is better.

An EMP is going to seriously screw us up.  I think radio communications
is farther down the list of problems if we get hit by one.  Food, for one
is going to be hard to move around.

Of course, stuff things in the ground will work, gven the effort, AND
not having a second one, say a month after the first, when you've
taken items out of storage and are using them.

Lately I'll point out that unless a lot of folks prepare in this way, it
won't much matter if you've saved some stuff, will it..