I'm looking for input on an antenna plan.  Currently have a Diamond X500HNA on
a water tank.  Antenna is mounted on a mast, clamped to the fill pipe on the
side of the tank, with base of antenna just above the top of the tank in order
to maintain a circular pattern.  See the picture attached, taken of the west
side of the tank.

I'd like to change to an ellliptical pattern that favors the bigger town in the
county which is roughly at 270 deg west and about 6 miles away.  The fill pipe
is located on this side of the tank.  I'd like to put a Decibel 2-bay folded
dipole (model?) that I already have, on our mast so that it is above the tank.
I'd like to position the dipoles so that one is at about 30 deg NE and the
other is at about 150 deg SE.

Here's where the elliptical part comes in.  I'd like to take a yagi or corner
reflector and mount it lower, at the railing or a short distance up the mast,
and point it at the town I'd like to focus on at 270 deg west.  It would be fed
together with the Decibel using a coaxial power divider.  The vertical distance
from the bottom of the Decibel and the directional antenna would be about 25
feet.

I'm thinking that someone has done this before.  How does it perform?  Can you
put antennas to work together like this and come up with a nice egg-shaped
pattern without deep nulls?

I am willing to spend time working to get accurate phasing lines fabricated for
the power divider.  Will I run into problems with patterns shifting because of
any slight impedance mismatches between the phasing lines and the feedpoints of
the antennas?

In simple terms, what I'm shooting for is base/mobile coverage out to about
25-30 miles from the NW clockwise around to the SW, and handheld coverage in
the town to the west in my elliptical 'blob'.  I realize that there are a lot
of other variables involved in coverage area such as output power, sensitivity,
feedline loss, haat, and so on.

Thanks for your input.

73  Paul - KC0HST