In a previous life I managed the communications for a state police agency. We
used 45 MHz for our main system and had forty some odd tower sites, almost all
running DB212-3 antennas.

Two of the sites were on 1000+ towers and used a single DB-212 element due to
the large tower face and the great height. One was a repeater using a receive
antenna at 1450' and a transmit antenna at 1350'. The other was a remote base
station with the single loop at about 850'.

As we were an investigative agency, almost all of the mobiles were using AM/FM
disguise antennas. (Yeah, I know, but we were stuck with the band that the
State Division of Communications had dictated...) Despite the radiating dummy
load antennas, we had excellent mobile coverage in virtually all of the state.

A consideration for DB212 antennas is that lining them up on one leg can make
them pretty directional.

For towers that were very close to the coast, I would put all three elements on
a single leg, but skew them so that only one was pointed directly off of the
leg. This seemed to give me a somewhat cardioid pattern, but with a little
better pattern to the back than if all three elements were in line.

Another consideration is that they were designed to be used on Rohn 45/55/65
sized tower. If you put them all on one leg, a larger tower face doesn't matter
much except that the rearward pattern will likely have a larger null. Mounting
them on all three legs of a larger face tower will result in reduced gain and a
pretty messed up pattern.

I don't know if I'd worry a whole lot about adding a fourth element- the three
element antenna will deliver excellent results.

Doug
K4AC
(Running for ARRL Southeastern Division Director- please check out my website
at www.k4ac.com)