Hello Jeff,

Your problem with the Firewire converter could be caused by a number of things.
Hooking up a SCSI device to a Firewire converter and getting it to work properly is
not as simple as it seems.

One possible cause for your problem is termination power. Most of the SCSI to Firewire
converters available on the market do not supply SCSI termination power to the SCSI
device (in your case, the tape drive). Termination power provides a minimal voltage so
that SCSI devices can be detected and
utilized properly.  The SCSI controller card provides termination power by default.

If the SCSI device is not getting termination power, then you migght run into the
situation which you described. You can reset many SCSI devices  to supply termination
power by reconfiguring a jumper in the circuitry of the drive. This is what Pam
referred to in her reply to your post. The VXA
drives with external Firewire converter were all configured for termination power so
that they would work with the converter. As Pam also mentioned, something you should
be aware of is that opening your drive to re-jumper it could void the UL certication
and the manufacturer's warranty.

Other things you might also need to check to get your drive to work:
- Latest version of Apple FireWire system extensions. We recommend version 2.3.3 or
higher for the VXA tape drive. Firewire 2.4 is available for download from
http://asu.info.apple.com/swupdates.nsf/artnum/n11794
- Mac OS 8.51 or higher.
- Dantz Retrospect version 4.3 or higher.
- Contact your converter's manufacturer for info on converter firmware updates which
could correct the problem

Also, I'd like to let you know that VXA tape drive users are getting great results
with the new VXA drives with integrated Firewire support. These do not require an
external converter. They plug straight in to the FireWire port. If you're interested
check them out at www.vxa.com.

--
Frank Saab
[EMAIL PROTECTED]