Dan:

I have experienced several network related problems when I upgrade an S-900
with that E100 card to anything past 8.1. I suspect that the E100 drivers
have problems with the Open Transport network changes that Apple made in
8.6, then 9.

I'm slowly trying to rid myself of all the S900's at our location because of
this. I've given up trying to get them to work with modern OS versions.

Also, in my experience, Retrospect has become much more sensitive to SCSI
errors since 4.2. I think I remember the Retrospect folks saying that this
is because it now better uses the speed associated with a Fast SCSI or LVD.
Apparently, the tradeoff for this speed is less fault tolerance.

Some of the Dantz folks on the list can explain it better.

on 2/15/01 8:48 AM, Dan Knight at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> I posted this over the weekend and haven't had a single suggestion. Has
> nobody seen this problem before?
>
> I'm back to the list after a month off. I now work from home and have run
> into a problem with backup.
>
> Earlier this week I swapped components between my SuperMac S900 and
> SuperMac J700. Both machines have the same motherboard, although the J700
> has two less PCI slots on that motherboard.
>
> Both computers have Newer G3 daughter cards and Umax SuperMac E100 cards,
> which provide 10/100 ethernet and fast-wide SCSI.
>
> I use a VXA drive for backup. Everything was working flawlessly under Mac
> OS 9.0.4 and Retrospect 4.2 on the S900. I set the S900 up for one of my
> sons, moving the hard drive from it to the J700. Everything should have
> run exactly as before.
>
> I should be so lucky.
>
> Ever since then, I've been getting miscompare errors. The only two
> changes are the box and an upgrade to Mac OS 9.1 just before I moved all
> my files to my new titanium PowerBook.
>
> I have upgraded to Retrospect 4.3; this has not helped.
>
> I suspect either the E100 card or an incompatibility with Mac OS 9.1.
> Before I tear two computers apart to swap cards or do a system downgrade,
> I'd appreciate feedback from list members as to the more likely cause.
>
> Thanks!
>

> Dan Knight, publisher, Low End Mac          <http://lowendmac.com/>
>
> --> insert clever tagline here <--
>

> --
>
> For urgent issues, please contact Dantz technical support directly at
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] or 925.253.3050.

Don Foy              Herald-Citizen
Webmaster and Network Administrator
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.herald-citizen.com
Personal: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Join the Upper Cumberland Macintosh User Group
http://www2.tntech.edu/ucmug/