Hi Stephen,

on 9/3/01 9:21 AM, Stephen Jones at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> What about running Samba on the Unix machine and backing it up across the
> network as an NT volume?

This is what I currently do with some Linux servers ... its ok, but I don't
let samba "publish" the whole system ... just the user data areas.  The
biggest problem is that you can't preserve the linux file ownership or
permissions.  This is acceptable for user data, but not for a whole system.

I'm also trialing the Retrospect "beta" Linux client ... it's great!

Cheers,  Malcolm

                       Information Alchemy Pty Ltd
                             ACN 089 239 305
                           Canberra, Australia

Malcolm McLeary                                Mobile:     0412 636 086
Managing Director                              Email:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]

     This message was sent using Outlook Express 5.0 for Macintosh.