Ecrix have just announced a VXA drive with integrated firewire,
bundled with Retrospect.

http://www.ecrix.com/press/pr-2001-01-09.html

I made enquiries about buying it with a local dealer, and have been
offered the previous scsi-to-firewire VXA drive at a reduced price.
This raises some interesting questions, the main one of which is
probably impossible to answer at the moment!

1) Will I eventually be able to back up my Mac on MacOS X using
Retrospect on either or both of the old/new firewire vxa drives?

2) Is the new drive now a native firewire implementation, or is it
just the old drive with the adaptor inside the box instead of outside
the box?

3) Does the old drive appear as a firewire device to Retrospect, or
does a software shim make it appear as a SCSI device? (If it appears
as a piece of firewire hardware, it seems more likely it will be
supported on MacOS X.)

The last question might be the only one that can be answered for sure!
--
John Gee                        [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Dunedin, New Zealand            Programmers live in interesting times...