For some in-depth info on shoe-shining (aka backhitching), which affects
the performance of many different kinds of tape drives (including DDS,
DLT, Mammoth, and others), check out

http://www.vxa.com/tour/tour2-home.html

If you have Real streaming video, you'll be able to see some video
footage of actual backhitching on this page. We put this together at
Ecrix a couple of years ago... Of course the point is that Ecrix's VXA
drives don't do this.

- Frank Saab
  Ecrix
  [EMAIL PROTECTED]