Steve Yuroff wrote:

> Right now, I'm using Retro to do an immediate duplicate from a B&W G3 to the new
>Titanium Powerbook the owner will be using.  I shut down the G3, and left it at
>"waiting for backup", which should exclude any background processes from running.
>
> When I started, it was copying at over 100MB/min.  An hour later, it was copying at
>25MB/min.  Now, 18 hours later, it's verifying at 0.8MB/min.  All machines are on a
>100B switched network, with no other traffic going on- it's Saturday morning, the
>office is closed.  Server is a beige G3 233.
>
> I've seen other Retro clients start with very nice speeds, then drop to pathetic
>thoroughputs. Does anybody have any input on why this happens?  At this rate, the
>duplicate won't be verified before Monday AM (not that it matters- I'm going to have
>to abort the verify, as this is unacceptable).  What should I do about this?

Try increasing the memory allocation for Retrospect. On our network,
100-T Switched, backup speeds range between 145 and 220 MB/min using 4.3
with IP clients, not AppleTalk. The tape drive is a Sony DDS-4 4mm DAT.

--
Regards,

Chuck Hornish, KF6YBC
Narnia Information Systems, Inc.
Fountain Valley, California 92708 USA

Voice: 714-963-7742      FAX: 714-593-5808

mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Delivering precisely defined database solutions since 1992.