Ian,

Thanks for your reply, I think from what you say I am indeed getting the expected results. I read earlier about the autofs bug, I have 2 systems (i386) running 2.6.18-53.1.14.el5, which still exhibit this behavior, however my x64's are ok (same kernel). I think I also read that the patch does not go live until RHEL 5.2. Since these only get booted after a kernel update or once a year (just because I can!), the problem does not really have any impact. The other odd behavior on the x64 machines, maybe related is that for some time after install they could not cd ~user1. However this morning they can!

Thanks again,

Neil.