On Mon, Jun 16, 2008 at 10:38 AM, Barry Andrews <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> http://www.redhat.com/rhel/server/details/#compatibility
>
> So, I'm thinking this is not the full story because I also found this,
>
> http://www.redhat.com/f/pdf/rhel/rhel5_whatsnew.pdf

I think there was a parsing part on your part when reading that (no
biggie.. it happens to everyone all the time). There is a HUGE
difference between:

"Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5 includes compatibility libraries that
enable applications built on the versions 3 and 4 to run without
recompilation."

and

"EL5 claims to be fully compatible with binaries that were built on EL4 and 3."

Fully compatible means that every library and binary would have a
'-compat' from previous versions. What EL-5 has is a subset of
commonly used compatibility libraries.

To answer your second question, Red Hat enterprise does not ship the
same version of perl in 3,4,5:

RHEL-3: perl-5.8.0-98.EL3
RHEL-4: perl-5.8.5-36.el4_6.3
RHEL-5: perl-5.8.8-10.el5_2.3

That would explain part fo the differences between library sizes and versions.

> and it also talks about compatibility ( under the GCC 4.1 Compiler section
> ).
>
> "...enable applications that were previously certified on the versions 3 and
> 4..."
>
> Maybe the keyword here is "certified"
>
> thanks,
>
> Barry
>
> On Mon, Jun 16, 2008 at 12:02 PM, Jos Vos <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, Jun 16, 2008 at 11:53:34AM -0400, Barry Andrews wrote:
>>
>> > EL5 claims to be fully compatible with binaries that were built on EL4
>> > and
>> > 3.
>>
>> Where is that claimed?  I think this technically can't be true (at least
>> not in the generic way you put it here), as libraries are upgraded etc.
>>
>> For applications only using glibc etc., for which there also exist
>> compatibility libraries and such, it can be true.
>>
>> --
>> --    Jos Vos <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>> --    X/OS Experts in Open Systems BV   |   Phone: +31 20 6938364
>> --    Amsterdam, The Netherlands        |     Fax: +31 20 6948204

Stephen J Smoogen. -- BSD/GNU/Linux