On Wed, Jul 9, 2008 at 11:32 AM, Jay Turner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-07-09 at 09:23 -0700, MJang wrote:
>
> [snip]
>

>> "It was also guessed that Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6 might not come out
>> for some time and that it would definitely not be based on Fedora 9...
>> but probably Fedora 11, 12 or even 13."
>
> I used to love the old days of schedule speculation.  But even more than
> that were the old days of having to inform the backbone maintainers
> before we released so they could be "prepared."
>
> Anyway, I would like to take this opportunity to offer a side trip with
> this thread.  What do people need/want in RHEL6?
>
> On the topic of not liking upgrades because software vendors aren't
> keeping up, that's one of the huge advantages of our virt story.  It
> allows you the opportunity to utilize the latest hardware, but lay an
> older release on top and (hopefully!) minimize the impact.  We've even
> done some testing in-house with the para-virt drivers which resulted in
> higher performance on the virt guest than when the same OS was laid down
> on bare metal.

I need RHEL-1/2 to run under paravirt ;).

Actually the biggest thing I would like to see is a RH
supported/trained configuration management program (cfengine, bfcfg2,
puppet). [And yes I think if you look the archives.. this has been a
repeated request :)]. Having something that is 'locked' and 'vetted'
would be very nice.

--
Stephen J Smoogen. -- BSD/GNU/Linux