On Sun, 2010-11-28 at 19:48 +0000, Trevor Hemsley wrote:
> Robert G. (Doc) Savage wrote:
> >         # service nfs start
> >         Starting NFS services:                                     [
> >         OK  ]
> >         Starting NFS quotas: rpc.rquotad: error while loading shared
> >         libraries: libwrap.so.0: failed to map segment from shared
> >         object: Permission denied
> >
> My first guess would be that you have selinux in enforcing mode and
> those files are not labelled correctly. There'll be denials logged in
> /var/log/messages if this is the case. To fix, edit
> /etc/sysconfig/selinux and change enforcing to permissive and then
>
> touch /.autorelabel
> shutdown -r now

Trevor,

That may have been it. At least most of it. I did have selinux set to
permissive, and the CentOS-plus kernel installation must have quietly
set it back to enforcing. Not nice.

I still saw some some "newness" in the boot time messages, so I'm not
yet out of the woods completely. However, since the nfs and portmap
services are back up and running, and nfs client systems can again
connect to this server, this particular problem is "solved".

Thanks for your help, guys.

--Doc Savage
  Fairview Heights, IL